Saturday, October 16, 2010

Returning to high school.

Just today I went and visited my old high school, Fountain Valley High School, to help out an assembly for the school's video broadcast. Upon returning, I found out that I wasn't the only alumni there, there were about 20 other alumni from the class of 2010. I felt at home again, being at my own high school, with a few of my friends, walking around campus, although I didn't have to take any classes or pay attention to any of the rules (thank goodness), it felt good a sort of bittersweet taste arose. I thought I knew so much about high school, that I “ruled the school” per say, but now finding that the next generation has flown in to take over, makes me feel off. To know that the past I have gone through won't ever be repeatable, that the memories I made are there, and can't be erased. That these kids won't see high school as how I saw it. I guess that's the thing, we enter high school, and 4 years later, we leave, taking whatever memories we made with us, no one will remember us, except the teachers who had influenced us. I thought I knew so much...but I guess I don't. I guess it's all part of growing up.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Powerful post, man. It's funny really. I remember during my senior year, I wanted to get out as soon as possible; but now, I find myself missing it. Not necessarily high school per se, but the vibe, the people, and the memories we will forever cherish. I'm glad to hear you still found some solace in visiting your high school. I have yet to visit mine and I'm hoping when I do, that my friends will welcome me as if I've never left. I hope I don't feel to out of place but it's kind of inevitable. I feel that when I do go back though, I'll have such a different mindset among everyone else because of what I've had to go through the first months of college. I don't even know if they'll recognize me. haha okay maybe not that drastic but we'll see what happens.

    But yes, it's a part of growing up. It's sad that we'll never be high school students again, but that's just one stage of life, the way I see it, our lives are only truly beginning.

    ReplyDelete